One of my favorite videos to watch at this time of the year is everyone’s yearly favourites, be it beauty, hair, skincare or non-beauty. So as I spent most of last year trying out lots of new things I thought I’d do a quick blog post to tell you what I discovered in 2015 and what my top 15 (some items have been doubled up!) products of 2015 were.
1. Burberry blush in Earthy: I tend to avoid products that are surrounded by a lot of hype so after dithering about whether to buy this blush for months a 30% off discount finally persuaded me to take the plunge and I’m so glad I did. I use this as both a blush and as a contour powder, but I’ve also used it as an eyeshadow. I absolutely love this blush as it’s so natural and glowy on the skin. In fact I got a compliment the very first time I used it so I guess it’s hyped for a reason!
2. ghd hairdryer in Vintage Pink: Having spent the best part of two years wanting to get my hands on a ghd hairdryer, but not wanting to spend the money I finally caved towards the end of last year when I saw the gorgeous vintage pink model had £20 off. One of the reasons for not wanting to spend so much money on a hairdryer was that I thought it wouldn’t make such a difference to my hair, but I have to say I’ve been blown away by this hairdryer and it is definitely worth the splurge. It’s a lot lighter and quieter than I was expecting and it leaves my hair feeling lightweight, soft, shiny and frizz free. I’m so happy that I can now recreate salon quality hair at home.
3. Chanel bronzing brush: It’s rare for a brush that comes with a product (Chanel Lumiere d’Ete Illuminating powder) to be any good, but I love this little brush and use it every day to apply my Earthy blush. This brush is incredibly soft, doesn’t shed and washes well.
4. Burberry quad in Nude Blush: Since discovering Burberry eyeshadows in early 2015 I haven’t looked at another brand since and I can’t wait to collect even more in 2016. I love how soft and buttery these shadows are. They blend like a dream and last all day. It was a tough choice between Nude Blush and Midnight Brown, but this quad just tipped it as I love wearing the second shadow in this quad.
5. Burberry effortless eyebrow definer in Ash Brown: I’ve struggled to find the perfect product to fill in my brows for years, but now that I’ve found this little guy I’ll be sticking with it as it’s so easy to use, looks really natural and lasts all day.
6. Flint+Flint moisturizer 3x: I’ve been loyal to my Aromatherapy Associates mosituriser for a good couple of years, but I’ve been blown away by this Flint+Flint moisturiser since I started using it back in October. I love the texture and the smell as well as how quickly and easily it sinks into the skin.
7. Sedona Lace 602 blush brush: I discovered this brand by accident, but I absolutely love this dense angle blush brush. I bought it mainly to use alongside my Max Factor crème blush, but I also use it with other blushes as well. This brush has washed well and there has been no shedding. I would love to get a back up, but they don’t seem to offer free international shipping and no duty charges anymore.
8. Stephanie Johnson make up bag: I’m a big fan of Stephanie Johnson and it’s a good job that I bought four items while I had the chance as I can’t find any UK stockists. I love the colour of this make up bag and the fact that it holds loads of products without losing its shape. These bags are expensive so I was really lucky to get them in then sale. However, you can’t fault the quality of the material and hopefully they will last me years.
9. Too Faced Love Hangover blush and melted lipstick in Melted Nude: Too Faced is a brand I’ve wanted to try for ages, but I was thinking more along the lines of the Chocolate eyeshadow palette rather than one of the blushes or lipsticks.
Love Hangover, Melted Nude (L-R)
Love Hangover, Seductive Pink, Earthy (L-R)
However, I’ve fallen in love with this blusher and can’t wait to try more colours. These blushes have great pigmentation, lasting power, give a lovely glow to the skin and are definitely up there alongside Burberry blushes as far as I’m concerned. I also loved the melted lipstick, which is a perfect everyday nude.
Zoeva black eyeliner, Make Up Gallery liquid liner, Burberry Effortless eyebrow definer (L-R)
10. Zoeva Graphic eyes eyeliner and Make Up Gallery liquid liner: Zoeva is one of my favourite brands and my love for these eyeliners is well known on this blog. They are so creamy and easy to apply, and the best bit…the price.
Zoeva in Black to Earth
Another affordable find in 2015 was the liquid eyeliner from Poundland. This is a great little product and it definitely performs better than expected considering it only costs £1. This liner has great pigmentation and lasts all day without smudging.
11. Dove body oil: I tried a few body products over the course of last year, but this body oil is the one that stands out. For the price this does a great job of hydrating your body; it smells gorgeous and lasts a fairly long time.
12. Soigne nail polish: I don’t tend to wear too much nail polish as I do a lot of baking, but when I do Soigne is definitely my polish of choice. I’m not going to lie the packaging is amazing and draws me in every time, but the polish is equally as good and long lasting. Another plus point is that Soigne tend to have some really good deals so you rarely have to pay the £11 price tag.
13. Ogx Kukui shampoo and conditioner: I don’t tend to spend a lot of money on shampoo and conditioner mainly because of brands like Ogx. These products are affordable and they do a great job of leaving my hair looking shiny and in good condition.
14. By Terry Rose De Baum: I’m a big fan of tinted lip balms and this gloss/tinted lip balm was my most reached for product of 2015. I love the pigmentation, lasting power and how lightweight and hydrating these feel on the lips. I was hoping By Terry would be releasing a new set of lip gloss/balms over the Christmas holidays, but sadly my pleas went unanswered. Out of the set Cherry Bomb is my favorite.
15. Max Factor Crème Puff blush: I’m a big fan of Hourglass and was keen to add one of their blushes to my collection. However, after hearing that the Max Factor Crème Puff blushes were a close dupe I decided to buy the cheaper version and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality, pigmentation and staying power. Out of the two I have my favorite is Seductive Pink and this little guy has had a lot of love in 2015.
My favourite brands from 2015 were:
Brands I want to try in 2016 include:
- Charlotte Tilbury
- Molton Brown
- Kat Von D
- Tom Ford
What brands were you loving?