I’ve been trying to avoid chocolate over the last couple of weeks but with my love of baking it’s been proving difficult. So I’ve been looking at alternatives and have convinced myself that anything that includes a vegetable has got to be a much better option!
Therefore, when I came across this courgette and orange cake in my magazine I knew I had to give it a go. This recipe is incredibly easy to make and when you have ‘help’ it’s even quicker, although normally when I bake with my husband he gets to do all the fun bits. And sure enough I ended up lining the cake tin and grating the courgette, although, I did cheat and use my food processor.
To oil, sugar, eggs, orange zest, vanilla extract, sultanas and grated courgette literally all you need to do is fold in flour and baking powder and you’re good to go.
This cake is supposed to take 50 minutes to bake but for some reason it was proving stubborn and it needed another 8 minutes as the middle refused to cook. However, I think 8 minutes was too much as I found it was slightly dry, but the topping definitely saved the day as it was sweet and creamy with a lovely orange flavor running through it. In fact this frosting is so yummy I could have sat and eaten the lot out of the bowl, but of course I didn’t.
According to the recipe this bake should have been light and moist but although it was edible I wasn’t happy with the result. However, I think this could be an awesome cake so I’m going to persevere and make it again as I want to test whether it’s the timings that are off or whether it’s my oven. I’d also like to have a go at splitting the mixture to make two 1lb cakes rather than one 2lb cake.
Watch this space for an update!
- 350g/12oz courgettes unpeeled
- 200g/7oz soft brown sugar
- 125ml/4fl oz sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100g/4oz sultanas or raisons
- 300g/11oz self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 200g/7oz full-fat cream cheese
- 100g/4oz icing sugar, sifted
- Orange zest
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Lightly oil and line a 1kg loaf tin
- Finely grate the courgettes, making sure you squeeze out as much liquid as you can
- Stir the courgettes with the sugar, oil, eggs, orange zest, vanilla extract and sultanas
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until they disappear, but make sure you don’t overmix
- Scrape the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Remove from tin and leave to cool on a wire rack
- While cooling, beat the cream cheese with the icing sugar, but don’t overbeat as it could end up too soft
- Chill and then spread over the cooled cake, scatter with the zest and leave to chill until ready to serve.